Friday, January 8, 2010

Natarang and I

A new Marathi movie 'Natarang' is released thin January, rocking and getting house full all over the Maharashtra. Natarang is the story of GUNA, a farm worker from the backwad community, with ultimate dreams of playing the King in the traditional Marathi folk art Tamasha. He starts the Tamasha, but finds difficult to get the character of नाच्या (dancer). Then he has no other option, but to do the role himself, which he did.

When I read the story,it took me 6 years back, right in 2003. That was our 1st year in Infotech1 and we did a skit at Infotsav2 2003. Nikhil was the brain behind the skit. The final script, practise was done in our house. The skit's name was "Ramayana Reloaded" which was the biggest hit of Infotsav 2003. My part was overall management and songs collection.. kind of backstage. There is one female character named Shurpanakha (शूर्पणखा) in the skit and nobody was ready to do this role. So ultimately everybody convinced (or managed) me to do this role. I even had to remove my mustache. That was a last minute change which I did. It was fun doing that role.

Have a nice time !!
- Mahesh Masurkar

Note:-
1. Infotech Enterprises Ltd, Hyderabad => My first company
2. Infotsav - Annual Function of Infotech.
I just remembered this when I read about Natarang.. thats it !!
So no comparison/offence is meant to the Natarang story or the actor Atul Kulkarni.. he was superb in the movie.

5 comments:

Sushil Shevakari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sushil Shevakari said...

Mahesh, but finally you got into the "key" role of "Duryodhan" in the next Infotsav, when we did Mahabharat. What happens to GUNA in the movie.. I have not watched that yet..

Gajendra said...

mahesh: your post took me back 10 years. The traditional day of 1998 in \coep. we all decided to Dindi for the traditional day and there was no character to do "charming lady" in the dindi and everyone convinced (???) me to do it...and even helped (???) @#### me remove my mustashsh in C-107. I was wearing green sadi (r#@$%^) and red..jane do (sab ke #$%^)..till date i do remember the notorish looks some of the girls COMP and E and TC....

महेश मसुरकर said...

Yes Sushil, its true ..After that I got the role of "Duryodhana" (or precisely I kept the role myself)

महेश मसुरकर said...

Gajya.. I too remember the dindi in 1998 for our trad day at BC.
You were really looking (??) charming that day ... :)